Did you know that Chaffee and Lake County Colorado residents share living at between 7,500 and 14,420 feet of altitude above sea level?
Amazingly, at sea level and at altitude there is always 21-percent oxygen in the air. However, at altitude, there is less pressure pushing oxygen into your lungs.
- Sleeping produces slower breathing patterns which let in less oxygen and exacerbates the altitude effects on your body
- It may take up to five days for senior visitors to acclimate to higher altitudes
- Seniors may exhibit impaired functional capability and depression at altitude
- Moderate altitude exposure by seniors can bring on hypoxemia, sympathetic activation, and pulmonary hypertension that results in reduced exercise capacity
- Heart and lung disease are exacerbated with advancing age at high altitude
There is a lot to go over when visiting or living at altitude. Your Cloud City Medical associates are your neighbors and are personally experienced in living, working, and playing at altitude. We are local and always available to discuss and make recommendations for your CPAP and oxygen products and services.